Main Research Interests
1. Factors affecting growth and development of children and adolescents and their intervention
2. Life skills education for children and adolescents
3. School health and health promotion
Professional Experience and Service
1. Deputy Director, China Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
2. Deputy Director, School Health Project Office, Ministry of Education
3. Vice Chairman of School Health Branch, China Preventive Medicine
4. Vice Chairman, School Health Professional Committee, China Health Supervision Association
5. Vice Chairman, Committee of Youth Tobacco Control for Chinese Association on Tobacco Control
6. Vice Chairman of the Professional Committee on Childhood Education of the National Association for Good Health and Good Education
7. Chairman, School Health Professional Committee, Beijing Association of Preventive Medicine
8. Member of the Committee of Experts on Nutrition and Health Promotion for Chinese Students
9. Standing Councilor, China Sexually Transmitted Diseases and AIDS Prevention Association
10. Standing Councilor, Chinese Sex Society
11. Education Supervision of Haidian District People’s Government, Beijing
12. Deputy Head of School Health Professional Group, State Physicians Qualifying Examination Question Development Committee
13. Standing Editorial Board, China School Health Magazine
14. Editorial Board, China Public Health
15. Editorial Board, Sports Teaching Magazine
United Nations Children’s Fund & Ministry of Education, “Development of a
Network Curriculum for Health and Health Education in Primary and Secondary
Schools (Teachers’ Version)”
Chinese Teaching Society, “Research on the Evaluation System of the Comprehensive
Ability of Young Students to Prevent AIDS”
National Natural Science Foundation of China, No. 81673245, “Research on the
Communication Characteristics of Social Networks and the Prevention and Control
Patterns of Popular Opinion Leaders (POL) for HIV-Infected College Students”
China Sexually Transmitted Diseases and AIDS Prevention and Control Association,
“Development of AIDS Prevention Education Supporting Materials for Middle
School Students in Liangshan State”
National Natural Science Foundation International Cooperation Project,
No. 1781320002, “Global Cooperative Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD)
Symposium on the Application and Development of Mental Health Needs”
Ministry of Education, “Training of School Health Managers in Local Education
State Council Committee on AIDS Prevention and Control Office & Ministry of
Education, No. 20150176, “Development of College AIDS Prevention and Control
Pilot Program and Development of Plans for Pilot Supervision and Evaluation”
State Council’s Working Committee on AIDS Prevention and Control & Ministry of
Education, No. 201400430, “Research on AIDS Prevention in Colleges and
Universities in 15 Provinces”
Public Health Industry Research Project, No. 201202010, “Development and
Application of Students’ Major Disease Control Technology and Related Standards—
Subtopic: Project Management and Base Construction”
National Social Science Fund’s “Eleventh Five-Year Plan” Education 2007 Key
Project, No. ALA070002, “Research on School Sports Health Quality Standards and
Guarantee Mechanisms—Subtopic: School Sports Health Teacher Allocation
1. Zhang Z, Ma J, Wang Z, Dong Y, Yang Z, Dong B, Ma Y. Parental smoking and blood pressure in children and adolescents: A national cross-sectional study in China. BMC Pediatrics. 2019;19(1):116.
2. Dong Y, Jan C, Ma Y, Dong B, Zou Z, Yang Y, Xu R, Song Y, Ma J, Sawyer SM, Patton GC. Economic development and the nutritional status of Chinese school-aged children and adolescents from 1995 to 2014: An analysis of five successive national surveys. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology. 2019;7(4):288–299.
3. Dong Y, Bennett K, Jan C, Dong B, Zou Z, Hu P, Wang Z, Yang Z, Wang X, Wen B, Xu R, Li Y, Song Y, Ma Y, Ma J. Subnational variation of stunting, wasting and malnutrition in Chinese primary-school children between 2010 and 2014: Urban–rural disparity. Public Health Nutrition. 2019:1–12.
4. Zhou J, Hu F, Wu J, Zou ZY, Wang YX, Peng HC, Vermund SH, Hu YF, Ma YH. Subjective well-being and family functioning among adolescents left behind by migrating parents in Jiangxi Province, China. Biomedical and Environmental Sciences. 2018;31(5):382–388.
5. Wang Z, Zou Z, Wang H, Jing J, Luo J, Zhang X, Luo C, Zhao H, Pan D, Ma J, Dong B, Ma Y. Prevalence and risk factors of impaired fasting glucose and diabetes among Chinese children and adolescents: A national observational study. British Journal of Nutrition. 2018;120(7):813–819.
6. Dong Y, Zou Z, Yang Z, Wang Z, Yang Y, Ma J, Dong B, Ma Y, Arnold L. Prevalence of excess body weight and underweight among 26 Chinese ethnic minority children and adolescents in 2014: A cross-sectional observational study. BMC Public Health. 2018;18(1):562.
7. Dong Y, Hu P, Song Y, Dong B, Zou Z, Wang Z, Xu R, Luo D, Gao D, Wen B, Ma Y, Ma J, Tian X, Huang X, Patton GC. Secular trends in mortality and causes of death among children and adolescents aged 1–19 years in China from 1953 to 2016: A national and subnational variations systematic analysis. The Lancet. 2018;392:S60.
8. Dong B, Zou Z, Song Y, Hu P, Luo D, Wen B, Gao D, Wang X, Yang Z, Ma Y, Ma J, Tian X, Huang X, Patton GC. Adolescent health and Healthy China 2030: A cross-sectional study. The Lancet. 2018;392:S63.
9. Dong B, Peng Y, Wang Z, Adegbija O, Hu J, Ma J, Ma Y-H. Joint association between body fat and its distribution with all-cause mortality: A data linkage cohort study based on NHANES (1988-2011). PloS One. 2018;13(2):e0193368.
10. Gui Z-H, Zhu Y-N, Cai L, Sun F-H, Ma Y-H, Jing J, Chen Y-J. Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption and risks of obesity and hypertension in Chinese children and adolescents: A national cross-sectional analysis. Nutrients. 2017;9(12):1302.