In order to ensure the quality of the dissertation, improve the quality of academic research ability training and guarantee the work of thesis proposal of international graduate, the relevant matters are notified as follows:
1. The content of the thesis proposal
Students shall write a thesis proposal before the writing of the thesis. Based on the selected theme and research, and by referring to the relevant domestic and foreign research literature and theoretical analysis, the graduates shall write the thesis proposal under the guidance of their supervisor. The thesis proposal shall include the following aspects:
(1) The source, basis, background, purpose, theoretical significance and practical application value of the theme;
(2) Research status and development trend, the scope and means of reference of literature;
(3) Academic conception, main research content, and key technology to be solved;
(4) Research methods, technical routes, implementation plans and feasibility analysis to be adopted;
(5) Required experimental means, research conditions and experimental conditions;
(6) Required funds, including sources of funds, expenditure budget (the name, specifications, and quantity of engineering equipment and materials shall be filled in);
(7) Work plan.
2. The composition of the thesis proposal review group
The dissertation committee should normally consist of 3-5 associate professors or above or experts with equivalent titles. 1-2 experts in related disciplines, including 1 expert in methodology are required. The supervisor can participate in the committee without serving as the chair of the dissertation committee.
3. The procedure of the thesis proposal meeting
(1) The students who intend to make the thesis proposal shall submit their application to the Teaching Affairs Office, School of Public Health for approval one week before the proposal;
(2) The review group leader presides over the thesis proposal meeting (about 5 mins);
(3) The students do the thesis proposal in the meeting with slides (about 20-25mins);
(4) The members of the review group raise questions about the thesis proposal, and the students answer the questions (about 10-15mins);
(5) The review group review the thesis proposal (about 10-15mins). If the selected theme is appropriate, the arguments are sufficient and the measures are implemented, it shall be approved to enter the work of dissertation; if there are still deficiencies, the graduates shall be required to make further amendments and supplements, and the thesis proposal will be done again.
4. Relevant requirements
(1) Before professional practice, the dissertation topic selection and thesis proposal should be implemented. The proposal and project evaluation should be completed at least 12 months prior to the dissertation defense.
(2) The comments shall be written by the dissertation committee one by one according to the assessment requirements, and the decision shall be made on whether to pass the thesis proposal. If the proposal is rejected, the proposal can be reopened within 2 months. Those who failed again will terminate the studies.
(3) The thesis proposal must have detailed records, "Record Form for Master's Degree Thesis in Peking University Health Science Cente” should be filled. After revision and supplement of the proposal, the students need to fill in “Research plan for a Master's Degree of Peking University Health Science Center " in duplicate after the report and submit it to the Teaching Affairs Office and the training office of Graduate School Health Scienc Center of Peking University.
(4) The students should reopen their research if they change their research topic due to special reasons.
1. The following materials shall be submitted to the Teaching Affairs Office of school of public health (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least one week before the oral presentation.
(1) Thesis Proposal Application Form with the signature of student, supervisor and director of the department (Attachment 0) 0-研究生开题申请表 Thesis Proposal Application Form for Graduate Students at PKUHSC.xls
(2) Thesis proposal (Attachment 1) 1-开题报告Thesis Proposal of Master’s Candidates.docx
(3) A literature review of the specific research field with the signature of supervisor (no less than 5000 words，which is used for obtaining professional course credit and scored by your supervisor. ) (Attachment 2) 2-北京大学医学部研究生专业课、专业外语成绩报告单Transcript for professional course and professional foreign language.doc
(4) Answer 3 questions (at the last page of attachment 2) with the signature of supervisor (which is used for obtaining professional foreign language credit and scored by your supervisor.) (Attachment 2) 2-北京大学医学部研究生专业课、专业外语成绩报告单Transcript for professional course and professional foreign language.doc
(5) Transcript for professional course and professional foreign language with your score, signature of supervisor and stamp of the department. (Attachment 2) 2-北京大学医学部研究生专业课、专业外语成绩报告单Transcript for professional course and professional foreign language.doc
Under the guidance of the supervisor, the proposal and project evaluation should be completed before June 30 2022.
2. Upon passing the proposal, “Research plan for a Master's Degree of Peking University Health Science Center " shall be submitted to the Teaching Affairs Office of school of public health (email@example.com) before July 5 2022. (Attachment 3)
3. “Record Form for Master's Degree Thesis in Peking University Health Science Cente" shall be submitted to the Teaching Affairs Office before March 15, 2023. (Attachment 4)
1) After passing the proposal, students should input related information into the system (see attachment 5 step 1-6) 5-How to input the information of your thesis into the system (2022 update).pdfand record in the table 1&2 of the record form before July 5, 2022.
2）Before October 30, 2022, the interim report should be completed. Students should input these information into the system (see attachment 5 step 7) 5-How to input the information of your thesis into the system (2022 update).pdf and record in the table 3&4&5 of the record form.
Students should discuss with your supervisor and other experts about your research, including data analysis and thesis writing. The report may include: Progress of the dissertation, existing problems, results and findings obtained; The following work plan and details; and others.
3）Before December 30, 2022, the concluding report should be completed. Students should input these information into the system (see attachment 5 step 8) 5-How to input the information of your thesis into the system (2022 update).pdf and record in the table 6&7&8 of the record form.
Students should discuss with your supervisor and other experts about the draft of your dissertation, including the main arguments, evidence, structure, and organization. The report may include: Progress of the dissertation, existing problems, results and findings obtained; The following work plan and details; and others. After the meeting, students should modify their dissertations, following the opinions and suggestions of the experts.
The above meeting should be arranged by the your supervisor. The student is responsible to help your supervisor for setting up the meeting: arranging the time and place as well as distributing the draft of the dissertation or other materials in time for all the experts to engage with it in a substantive way.
Teaching Affairs Office
School of Public Health